Thursday, June 19, 2008

Testing Positive.


After an exhausting ten hour day of sweeping up hair, shampooing guests, manning the telephones, and many other mundane tasks, I was a little discouraged and grumpy. Is this assisting thing really worth it?

I decided to sit down and read just a bit before I went to the gym, and let my mind clear itself of all of it's unchecked thinking. I read something from a book I'm reading called Ethics for the New Millennium by the Dalai Lama. (Great book. Second time reading it.) It's a paragraph that just kinda made me feel a little better and put things into perspective. It'll do me good to write it down, so I can digest it properly, while I slowly type it with my 10 wpm typing skills. It reads:

"It is also worth remembering that the time of greatest gain in terms of wisdom and inner strength is often that of greatest difficulty. With the right approach-and here we see once more the supreme importance of developing a positive attitude-the experience of suffering can open our eyes to reality."

When I think of those I admire most in my life, my heroes, it is mostly those who have overcome something tremendous, tragic, or that broke some sort of limitation-be it social, physical, mental, political,etc.-and humbly rose up a stronger and wiser person. It is those persons who kept a positive attitude, a smile on their face, and laughter in their heart, while the cloud of doom loomed merely inches overhead. I have nothing in my life that warrants any form of griping or poor attitude. I should feel blessed that I am not being tested the way that others are being tested.

There is my attitude check. Now, I'm off to the gym.

1 comment:

Tresca said...

thank you. i needed that verse more today than anything.

thank you.