Sunday, November 25, 2007

Be Nice (Or Else!)



I saw The Mist today. It was scary, suspenseful, and well-made. If you're into that genre of movie, I'd highly recommend it because it kept me on the edge of my seat. But I think I've decided that I can't handle scary movies anymore. I left the movie theater with the worst feeling, and it took a long nap to make it go away. Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't feel that well in my heart when I watch many television shows either. Classic examples of the type of shows I'm referring to are, Forensic Files, CNN broadcasts, and most talk shows. Sure, they are entertaining and interesting, but they don't make my soul feel well inside. I'm not sure why I'd expect them to when they are filled with violence, murder, and pain. I sleep with my television on sometimes, and when I do so with one of those types of shows on, I have such a hard time falling asleep.
While thinking about this topic, I remembered something I read in Be Nice Or Else, a book written by one of my mentors/friends, Winn Claybaugh. In it he gives this advice:

He begins by speaking about newscasts, "If it bleeds, it leads. The most negative and violent news always leads each newscast. Why? Because newscasters know they'll hook you on the drama. Isn't that a sad practice to boost viewership and raings? The ten o'clock news will give you detailed facts about crime, violence, and bad news, but it won't tell you how many people fell in love that day. It won't tell you how many people volunteered their time that day."
Speaking about talk shows and soap operas he continues, "Many television shows focus on gossip and negative behavior. They tend to present the most critical, tragic, and petty side of human nature. They attract an audience by bringing out the worst in people. I know people who say they turn on the television in order to have background noise while they move about their day, but don't fool yourself into thinking that negative information doesn't get inside your head."
He concludes, "As a society, we've become desensitized to violence. It's commonplace in movies, videos, music, television programs, and books. This is one of the most detrimental ways to program your mind... Have you ever watched children as they watch violence on television? It's so unnatural to them that they squirm and take short breaths. Violence is unnatural to your physical body and loving soul --just as are bickering, critiquing, judging, and heartlessness-- but many have made it a part of who they are."

Wow, now as I step off my soapbox... I'm not trying to sound judgmental to those who enjoy these kinds of movies and shows, but personally, my heart can't handle it. I've been focusing the past week on how I can develop greater empathy, and the first small step I'm going to take in my life to become just a little bit kinder (or nice!) is to eliminate all media that promotes violence, pain, and fear.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with you, I still see my fair share of scary movies and such. But I have really tried to limit what violence and "unholy" images I let into my head. I have become more sonsitive with age and I feel that is a good thing. I like watching and listening to things that lift up my soul and make my heart feel happy. You are so right! XOXO

kacee said...

Chaddy- you are so deep! When did my punk little brother grow up? I love you and love that you are always searching for ways to become better! Wish I could focus a little more on that!

angiedunn said...

Amen, brotha! Couldn't agree more...I still like 24 though. *wink*

You are an amazing person Chad. I've always thought that! And I really appreciate the kind words o' my crazy blog...thanks for making my day! (:

Take care friend!