Monday, November 12, 2007

A Tribute: My Best Friend, Jen.



I am rich in friends, and perhaps one of my most treasured of friends is Jen. It is difficult to describe her or the reasons why I love her. Even in all her simplicity, she's still so complex. What I do know is this: She is human. She loves, she hurts, she rises, and she falls. She is vulnerable and, yet, so strong.


When I look into Jen's eyes I see a kaleidoscope of emotion. Her warm eyes whisper a subtle invitation of friendship, and at the same time, they hesitate with the caution of someone who has had broken trust and a broken heart. Jen is a woman who wants to be loved. She gives some too much credit, and sells herself way too short. She's not afraid to speak her mind, and at the same time avoids confrontation. She carries herself confidently, but doesn't quite believe in herself. She is beautiful. She knows the importance of a new bag or pair of jeans versus paying an overdue gas or electric bill. She listens with a mind devoid of judgement, and imparts advice with the wisdom of ages. When she says, "I love you," you know she's sincere. She gives and gives and gives (and gives a little more).


Jen understands me. I'm not sure if it's because she makes an effort to do so, but I'd like to think that it's simply because our friendship was written in the stars. Whether we were sitting on the couch watching reality television re-runs or living the fabulous life out on the town, I always knew I was with someone who loved me. Jen will always occupy a tender spot in my heart, free of rent.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Awww, why ya gotta make me cry! Gees! Thanks, Chad. That was sweet!

Laura Blue said...

that is so sweet. and i must say that she is beautiful. you're one lucky guy

Unknown said...

I love Jen too- such a sweetheart. She is very lucky to have you as well ;)